Go Back   The Eegra Forums > Discussion > Peach's Panties

Notices

Old 10-31-2009, 01:55 AM   #1
Captain Awful
Blastoise

Send a message via MSN to Captain Awful
Default Left 4 Dead 2 Demo

The more things change, the more they stay the same. That adage has never made sense to me, I mean, if it's changed, then it isn't the same anymore is it? Whatever, this isn't what I'm here to tell you about.

I didn't pre-order Left 4 Dead 2 for exclusive access to the demo. All I had to do was murder a Gamestop employee's target using a salmon filled with lead bearings, which is substantially easier then shelling out $5 to that hate filled devil pit of a game store.

Wearing the VIP badge I created for myself in Paint Shop Pro, I set forth to download the game and shared a couple of codes with my friends. If I was going to try out L4D2 (the game, not the robot) I was going to do it proper. After a 1.6 GB download I was ready to rock like a fox.

The first thing you'll notice, if you're not blind that is, is the huge fucking menu. There's a bunch of stuff to sort through, it's almost as bad as a Mortal Kombat game. Campain, Realism, Versus, Survivor, Scavenge, Single Player, if only I could try out some of them. Unfortunately the dicks at demo headquarters will only let me play Campaign and Single Player, which is the same thing, except that Single Player is for losers.

Campaign was exceptionally awesome, I mean, it's still the exact same Left 4 Dead as before, but with new levels and new zombie types. The charger charges, The spitter spits, the jockey rides you like a fucking horse, the whole thing makes me wonder why they called the guy with the really long tongue a smoker? Does smoking lead to the ability to tongue-snipe?

The new infected are a lot of fun, and seem meant for PvP. I cackle in delight when I think about forcing a group of survivors to jump off a ledge that I threw up acid spit on, except SMASH there's a charger on your buddy and you can't save him without going down yourself. MWUHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Armored zombies are a pain in the ass. You can only kill them with melee weapons or by shooting them from behind, so while you're being pummeled by the hundred zombies alerted by a car alarm from your incompetent partner, you have to strafe behind this armored zombie to fucking kill it. Jeez Valve, tired of us being in corners? Also, witches get up and stumble around, which makes for an interesting game.

Throwing melee activates a cooldown timer if you use it too much, exactly like after the update in the first Left 4 Dead, except now it's in campaign too. Makes sense I guess.

I have a favorite new grenade, it's basically just a glass jar full of boomer bile, and when you throw it at something, that something is instantly destroyed by a group of ferocious zombies. Don't have something to throw it at? Throw it anyway! The cloud attracts zombies just as well, but there's less things getting killed and a lot more distraction using that method. I also really like the Sniper Rifle, yeah, holy shit right? I avoided the Hunting Rifle in the last game like it was going to give me herpes, but by Rexcore's right arm I will steal that Sniper Rifle off your corpse if you just give me a chance. Actually, all of the weapons are pretty worthwhile, even in expert. I remember meleeing people until they picked up a shotgun in the old days, now I fight alongside kids wielding SMG's.

Melee weapons are interesting, they have a wide area of effect, work well when you're in a corner, and look fucking ridiculous. You want to kill zombies? Pick up this acoustic guitar and swing it at 'em! I hardly ever used them because you WILL be hit if you just keep swinging melee in a corner. The melee weapon takes over for your pistol, meaning you can only use one or the other. Your pistol sucks now, it looks a lot meaner, but I'm pretty sure they've just taken the orange cap of the end of an airsoft gun, I can't imagine killing a tank with it.

My favorite part about L4D2 is the "gauntlet", that bit where you're being chased by a lot of zombies and you have to turn off a switch that's at the other end of a god damned maze. It's my favorite part because it's exhilarating. My friends and I were holed up inside a trailer, adrenaline in hand, and I was like

"On the count of three, we go" and we went.

We all died the first time, because we hadn't saved any distracting grenades. We were eviscerated by a hundred or so starving zombies. The gauntlet works counter to what you're supposed to do, which is sit in a corner and kill everything, then slowly move up. The gauntlet forces you and your friends to run like an idiot through an endless wave of zombies. It's exciting!

For those who care about the music in the game, special infected still have the same intro music, but with a banjo twist. Fire looks amazing. That's all.

If you want to know anything else, ask, or read about it somewhere else.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
Demaar
Stop tickling my fancy.

lol wow. Exclusive access to a demo by preordering? That sounds about the most moronic, counter-intuitive thing I've heard in ages.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:39 AM   #3
shMerker
Fountain of lies

They did this with the first game too. After the release they'll make the demo available to everyone.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:13 PM   #4
Demaar
Stop tickling my fancy.

Hmm, I wonder if the demo is available on the Australian Live Marketplace, cause I recall having no dramas getting a demo for the first.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:13 PM   #5
Usernamehere
Prone to stabbing

There's a way to uncensor the Australian version. If you change two textfiles (steam.txt, it contains app information) and change 590 to 510, it'll be gorey and awesome!

Anyway, here's my review.
UNCENSORED.
Fun. Always changing, very riduclously gory. Pros: Excellant. Cons: Melee makes it hard to see with all the blood.
CENSORED.
Shit. They removed ALL gore effectd, and the uncommon infected, like the riot copes. It sucks. Pros: Rowan Atkinson is a dick. Cons: Everything.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
loinbread

So, they removed every type of Uncommon Infected? I'd previously read that Riot Cops were the only ones to be cut.

If this is the case, then I suppose that means that we cannot play with non-Australian players? That... stinks? Also why did they remove zombified police officers when any Australian can kill living, breathing policemen in pretty much every GTA ever? What was the issue for them there?

Old 11-01-2009, 02:15 AM   #7
Captain Awful
Blastoise

Send a message via MSN to Captain Awful

That's pretty shitty for Australia. I have a feeling that Australia's going to have the biggest modding and importing community soon.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:44 PM   #8
Usernamehere
Prone to stabbing

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...&postcount=128

Play as the infected! It's awesome.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:28 AM   #9
shMerker
Fountain of lies

I've played the demo a bit now. I need to assemble a real crew for getting through on Expert. The people I've played with online so far don't seem to understand the complicated tactics required to survive, such as "actually shoot the zombies" and "machetes and med kits do different things". I like the new weapons I've seen, especially how they've made the shotgun vs. SMG choice at the beginning more of a trade off and added more tiers to the weapons. I haven't even seen an auto shotgun yet. I don't know if I even want one now that they've added a real sniper rifle.

The new special infected all seem cool too. I can't wait to play versus mode.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:54 AM   #10
Usernamehere
Prone to stabbing

So I got a gifted version. No sensored bull for me!

I like how there are 2 of each tier's weapon:
-Tier 1
  • Pump shotgun (more damage, less accuracy)
  • Chrome shotgun (more accurate, less damage)
  • SMG (More accurate, less damage?)
  • Silenced SMG (Less accurate, more damage)
-Tier 2
  • SPAS-12 (Auto-chrome shotgun)
  • Tactical Shotgun (Auto-pump shotgun)
  • Desert Rifle (fires in 3 round bursts,)
  • AK-47 (More damage, less ammo and accuracy)
  • Machine gun (it's a machine gun)
  • Hunting rifle (less ammo, faster reload?)
  • Sniper (loads of ammo, fuckin' HUUGE reload)

I like how levels are more open. Now the shotgun isn't always the best choice. Hell, picking off smokers and spitters before they can do shit with a hunting rife/sniper is fun as hell. Usually someone gets smokered, I follow the tongue, and nail the bastard. And before I'd just spam pellets!

(The gauntlet run to the radio tower is also fun as hell, but the AI for survivors doesn't realise that WE NEED TO GET A MOVE ON YOU MORONS RUN RUN RUN DON'T FIGHT THE HORDE JESUS ASDFHKLHFS)

So, how do you guys roll? I usually go Sniper/Melee, Chrome/Melee or Pump/Pistol. I need a ranged weapon and a close quarters one Ranged weapons are the Sniper, chrome shotty and pistol. Close range are the melees (machete/guitar are god tier) and pump shotgun. Yes, I put a lot of thought into my loadout.