Go Back   The Eegra Forums > Discussion > Peach's Panties

Notices

Old 10-11-2009, 09:51 AM   #11
Demaar
Stop tickling my fancy.

There have been some pretty Wii games. Cutting edge graphics doesn't make a pretty game, it's art direction and stylising. But that's just me stating the obvious...

Old 10-12-2009, 05:12 AM   #12
CPFace

To be fair, a lot of Wii games are terrible. It's the only console I own from the current generation, but even then, it's really hard to care about most of the games that come out for it. So many developers are just out to make a quick buck with their Wii Sports/Play/Fit clones. So many others are trying to woo the folks who like those combat action games (and, as such, already bought an XBox 360, which can do them much prettier).

I bought the console because I'm a hopeless Nintendo fan, but even that appeal is wearing kind of thin. I'm really looking forward to Epic Mickey and A Boy and His Blob, and I wish there was more stuff like that -- just these really classic, crazy videogamey ideas.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:10 AM   #13
Neen
DU-DI-DA!!

The most popular systems have the biggest pile of shit games, always has. But the upside is that developers can also take bigger risks with greater chance of return. It's just now that developers are now realizing that.

What's going here--or at least appears to be going on here--is that the Wii isn't an afterthought PS2 with waggle. If something is tailor-made for anything, and with enough effort and talent it will be, well, good.

And let's face it, HD consoles are just second-tier PCs; if your going for raw graphics, they're not the way to go.

Last edited by Neen; 10-12-2009 at 06:18 AM.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:55 AM   #14
shMerker
Fountain of lies

Developers are also having trouble figuring out with to do with the Wii because it fits no one's expectations for this generation. The major developers started gearing up years ago for higher-budget graphically intensive games. It was only recently that they realized that they weren't hitting a big enough audience to justify that because the HD consoles haven't taken off the way they were expecting. Now the logical thing to do is develop for Wii but the resources they have are for making HD games.

This is actually a textbook disruption. Developers have been angling for better and better graphics because that was bringing them greater profitability until recently. Now they've hit a point where only the most dedicated customers even know the difference. Meanwhile they recognize the new wave rising from below, but they either assume that it doesn't apply to them or recognize that it will provide lower margins right now. They're waiting for either the Wii to catch up with the HD consoles in terms of graphics or for the HD consoles to implement comparable motion controls. At that point adopting some of the Wii values will provide a value-sustaining effect on their offerings. But then it will be too late. The companies that have been cutting their teeth on the Wii right now will have the customers and the know-how to take over the HD portion of the gaming market as well, and they'll be willing to do it at a lower profit margin than the incumbents, who will defend themselves by retreating further up-market, probably clinging to stereoscopic ("3D") as the thing that will save them (I'm assuming all this idiocy around consumer-hostile software licensing will shake out by then, but I could be wrong about that). This is something that has happened over and over again in pretty much every industry.

Short version: Expect Activision-Blizzard to vanish up it's own butthole in the next few years. EA is probably the only megapublisher who will survive, and that only because of the forward thinking management of it's sports division by Peter Moore (Yeah I didn't expect to be writing that two years ago either) Also it's pretty unlikely that Sony or Microsoft will be making a new console after their current ones.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:38 PM   #15
Demaar
Stop tickling my fancy.

I dunno about Acti/Blizz. It really depends on how quickly people burn out on music games...

Old 10-14-2009, 01:49 AM   #16
shMerker
Fountain of lies

That's just it though. People are going to burn out on music games. Activision's short-sighted management of Guitar Hero and competition with Harmonix is ensuring that it will happen more quickly. They should be trying to find something new rather than just assuming that "Music Hero", Tony Hawk, and World of Warcraft are all invincible.

The thing is though that new IPs don't satisfy the desired growth of a company like Activision, so anything that doesn't have a high margin is given lower priority. Historically speaking it's unlikely that they'll figure out what's going on until it's already too late.

But yeah, this doesn't really have a lot to do with Mickey and how epic he is clearly becoming. Now that I think about it it's kind of weird that there aren't more games starring Mickey Mouse. He's similar to Mario in that he's a generally well known and well liked character and also has a kind of universal quality where you could really put him into any kind of game world and he would fit in.

Which reminds me. Have any of you ever played Mickey Mouse in Land of Illusion? It was a game for the Game Gear that happens to be a personal favorite of mine. It had Mickey Mouse appear in a dream world that was under a curse by a being known only as the phantom. Because it's a video game he decides to go and stop the phantom, embarking on a journey across a perilous world.

It was challenging and lively and shockingly big for a handheld game. Something impressive about it is how each level has it's own environment and enemies. There's a field of giant flowers complete with giant bugs, and a toymaker's workshop with a crane and little cannons. There are five different haunted castles, each of them haunted by something different.

It's one of those games that you don't hear about too often because it didn't revolutionize anything and it wasn't the first appearance of anything that belongs to video games. Mickey Mouse and company have their own life without gamers quoting them on forums or making endless fanart for them. What it was, though, was a damn fine platformer back when damn fine platformers were a regular occurence rather than a rare event.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:49 PM   #17
punkgorilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by shMerker View Post
It's one of those games that you don't hear about too often because it didn't revolutionize anything and it wasn't the first appearance of anything that belongs to video games. Mickey Mouse and company have their own life without gamers quoting them on forums or making endless fanart for them. What it was, though, was a damn fine platformer back when damn fine platformers were a regular occurence rather than a rare event.
It was only a few days ago that I was explaining to someone about how there once was a time where licensed platformers didn't suck. See, they had stumbled across a NES platformer and were surprised how good it was despite the apparent fact that 'licensed games are always shit' and 'platform games are always shit'.

I guess somewhere along the way 'the suits' discovered that they could still turn a profit by not putting a whole of of effort into the games. Hopefully Epic Mickey will be able to turn the trend back to what it used to be.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:20 PM   #18
Demaar
Stop tickling my fancy.

I remember a Mickey/Donald game on Megadrive that was super fun and awesome. I wish I could remember what it was, cause I only rented it once and never saw it again.

Yer, I dunno... I reckon Mickey should probably be in more games, yeah. It is a bit of a mystery why he hasn't been exploited yet...

Old 10-14-2009, 09:23 PM   #19
Muz
Deleted

I think Mickey's just not popular enough. He's a mascot, but I dunno, he seems to lack personality. I remember an old Donald game where he would shoot plungers and climb on them or something.. that game was pretty damn fun as a kid.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:05 AM   #20
shMerker
Fountain of lies

Back when Mickey was black he had plenty of personality.