Go Back   The Eegra Forums > Eegra > Feedback

Notices

Old 04-29-2009, 03:26 AM   #1
Captain Awful
Blastoise

Send a message via MSN to Captain Awful
Default Pac-Man Enzyme

Damnit! Fucking...Argh!!!! Why Joystiq!? Why did you do it!? Don't be Kotaku!!!

It won't be long before they start blowing things out of proportion to get view counts.

"Are your kids going to get AIDs from Sonic the Hedgehog? Find out more after the jump!"

Old 04-29-2009, 03:34 AM   #2
shMerker
Fountain of lies

In all fairness the headline is accurate to the article and the story itself is no less relevant to gaming than say, the weekly webcomics round-up. That first paragraph is ridiculously misleading though. Is it supposed to be funny?

Old 04-29-2009, 05:03 AM   #3
Neen
DU-DI-DA!!

Actually, this isn't the first time science has named something after a video game character--there's the Hedgehog gene and its inhibitor, Robotnikinin.

http://www.biotechnews.com.au/articl...fp=4&fpid=1013

Old 04-29-2009, 09:24 AM   #4
Dan
Smug Bison

Quote:
Originally Posted by shMerker View Post
In all fairness the headline is accurate to the article and the story itself is no less relevant to gaming than say, the weekly webcomics round-up.
Except that all the wbecomics in the round-up are about gaming and are a product of videogame culture.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:40 AM   #5
shMerker
Fountain of lies

Right, so they're relevant to gaming in that they mention games. This is a scientific development where the scientists involved decided to reference a game. I don't really see the difference.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:43 AM   #6
Ensenada

Send a message via MSN to Ensenada

Okay, now you're just taking a mildly amusing article and beating the fun out of it with your "They're not taking vidyo games sewiouslee!" talk.

Personally, I think thecultural impact video games have on science is more interesting news than "NEW FPS BEST THING EVER, BUY 12", and I'm sure Joystiq published a few of those articles on the same day. You're the only ones blowing things out of proportion.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:09 AM   #7
Dan
Smug Bison

Quote:
Originally Posted by shMerker View Post
Right, so they're relevant to gaming in that they mention games. This is a scientific development where the scientists involved decided to reference a game. I don't really see the difference.
Seriously? You can't see how webcomics dedicated to videogames (that are intended for people who play videogames) are more relevant to gaming than an enzyme that just happens to be named after an ancient videogame character?

In any case, the relevance to gaming is not so much the issue for me, as it's the desperate, cloying, "OHMIGOD THE BIG WORLD NOTICED US!" attitude that articles like this embody.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:17 AM   #8
Captain Awful
Blastoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensenada View Post
Okay, now you're just taking a mildly amusing article and beating the fun out of it with your "They're not taking vidyo games sewiouslee!" talk.

Personally, I think thecultural impact video games have on science is more interesting news than "NEW FPS BEST THING EVER, BUY 12", and I'm sure Joystiq published a few of those articles on the same day. You're the only ones blowing things out of proportion.
I like going places that have a purpose. I rely more on Joystiq then Kotaku because I know I won't have to filter through hundreds of bullshit articles. It's true that they do sometimes publish an article that has no relevance to gaming whatsoever, like naming something "the pac-man enzyme", but that doesn't make it okay.

I want just the facts about what's new, because sometimes I don't have fifteen minutes to read through a bunch of bullshit.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:11 PM   #9
Demaar
Stop tickling my fancy.

This is why I headline skim. Always. I don't even notice the bullshit until someone else points it out. I guess that's why I was able to read Kotaku for so long...

Old 04-29-2009, 03:57 PM   #10
Captain Awful
Blastoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demaar View Post
This is why I headline skim. Always. I don't even notice the bullshit until someone else points it out. I guess that's why I was able to read Kotaku for so long...
I don't belong on the internet, practically everything gets me in an uproar.