Go Back   The Eegra Forums > Eegra > The Shindigs

Notices

Old 09-03-2008, 06:27 PM   #21
The flying banana
The man in the rain

Location: Almost certainly a long way away from wherever you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monoRAIL View Post
Sponsors are always a good idea - they offer a few prizes in exchange for their banner at the start of the games - everyone wins from that.
Better be careful who the sponsors are though. Eegra doesn't want to associate itself with just anybody. It would be best to get multiple small sponsors, since eegra itself is doing this to gain publicity, it would be good to give some other small company a leg up.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:20 AM   #22
Kintak
Magical Musical Maggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The flying banana View Post
Better be careful who the sponsors are though. Eegra doesn't want to associate itself with just anybody. It would be best to get multiple small sponsors, since eegra itself is doing this to gain publicity, it would be good to give some other small company a leg up.
With no insult meant to The Shindig, its current state is not one that would attract many large sponsors.
But come to think of it, this seems like just the sort of thing Valve might get in on, what with Steam picking up indie titles and developers for their Steam service and development team respectively.
Even so, it will probably take a grander scale contest to attract them.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:24 PM   #23
The flying banana
The man in the rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kintak View Post
With no insult meant to The Shindig, its current state is not one that would attract many large sponsors.
But come to think of it, this seems like just the sort of thing Valve might get in on, what with Steam picking up indie titles and developers for their Steam service and development team respectively.
Even so, it will probably take a grander scale contest to attract them.
More fool the companies if they don't see that the shindig (And eegra.) will end up huge.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:01 PM   #24
Kintak
Magical Musical Maggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The flying banana View Post
More fool the companies if they don't see that the shindig (And eegra.) will end up huge.
But running a company is all about protecting your interests. EA Games would not sponsor The Shindig in the same way that a car dealership would not sponsor an event where you try to build the best car. In the end, the contest is saying "We're trying to make something better than what you sell." The fans of the contest want something better, so they would not be a target audience.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:09 PM   #25
Dan
Smug Bison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kintak View Post
But running a company is all about protecting your interests. EA Games would not sponsor The Shindig in the same way that a car dealership would not sponsor an event where you try to build the best car. In the end, the contest is saying "We're trying to make something better than what you sell." The fans of the contest want something better, so they would not be a target audience.
I don't think that's the case. The Shindig — and indie gaming more generally — is not so much about replacing commercial games as it's about offering an alternative. I mean, I love indie games, but I still buy and play a shitload of mainstream stuff because mainstream games offer something that indie games don't (and vice-versa). Plus, don't forget the fact that so far as the Shindig goes, none of the games are actually for sale. We can't be a competitor if we're not even in the market.

That said, I suspect the majority of our sponsors, if indeed we do get sponsors, will be small companies. After all, small companies stand to benefit a lot more from a partnership with us than does a multinational conglomerate.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:26 AM   #26
Muz
Deleted

I don't really see it as something better than what commercial games are doing. It's more like something different. At least, that's my approach to making games. It's crazy to try and top what trained people working full-time are doing. It's easier to do something that we could get away with since we don't have the financial risk of releasing a weird game. Thus, games like Go Beryllium, Space Safari, Colourbind, and all those other weird games that would commercial game managers would never approve of.

On the topic of weird games, if the next Shindig was about languages, and I'm sure it's not, I just had this wicked idea of doing a game based in the Chaos Wave world where you have to go around and invent some kind of language in order to unite the various colored nations. Violence is only a solution when communication fails. Or if I was lazy, I'd just make something where you kill things using the power of your voice. Hmm.. yes, us telecommunication engineers are crazy.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:59 PM   #27
The flying banana
The man in the rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muz View Post
On the topic of weird games, if the next Shindig was about languages, and I'm sure it's not, I just had this wicked idea of doing a game based in the Chaos Wave world where you have to go around and invent some kind of language in order to unite the various colored nations. Violence is only a solution when communication fails. Or if I was lazy, I'd just make something where you kill things using the power of your voice. Hmm.. yes, us telecommunication engineers are crazy.
Nice to see my idea is catching.

But I agree with the main segment of your post which I can't be bothered to quote. The shindig is far enough removed from the mainstream to make comparisons pointless. Not quite chalk and cheese, but getting there. The shindig is more about creating something for ten minutes quick fun, with high replay value. For that reason, spectrum spelunker should have won.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:06 PM   #28
Gina
Smarty-pants

Send a message via MSN to Gina

Theme;

Gender?

Were this the case, and if I were capable of making a game; Transvestite Adventure!!

YEAH!

Last edited by Gina; 09-09-2008 at 08:09 PM.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:58 PM   #29
Dinaroozie

Funny you should say that, Gina - when I saw the theme of colour, my first thought was "Aha! I shall make a story-driven game about racial tensions." Then I thought a bit about the many levels on which that would not be a good idea, and then I made Colourbind instead. A game about gender, though...

Maybe an RPG, set in a highly gender-role-driven society, in which you have to strategically change the gender of your character to manipulate situations and solve puzzles, would be such a win. I guess technically it could be considered offensive. Technically. Hrm.

~ Finn

Old 09-12-2008, 06:28 PM   #30
Gina
Smarty-pants

Send a message via MSN to Gina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinaroozie View Post
I guess technically it could be considered offensive. Technically. Hrm.
Disclaimers are the media's bandaid.