Go Back   The Eegra Forums > Eegra > The Shindigs

Notices

Old 08-31-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
Dan
Smug Bison

Default Shindig '09 - Ideas and Suggestions

Even though we only just finished up the last one, we're already thinking about what to do with next year's Game Makin' Shindig - and we want your ideas!

So: what would you like to see happen next year? What should the theme be? How long should it go for? Should we expand the criteria for eligibility? How should entries be judged? Is there anyone (company or individual) that you think we ought to approach for help?

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS

THE EEGRA PEOPLE

Old 08-31-2008, 01:31 PM   #2
Reasonableman
Verily.

Well, I have one thing to mention, which Hempuli reminded me of: The Experimental Gameplay Project. Their website is down at the moment, but when it's back up, you may want to see if you can recruit some people therefrom to force into making game for this here Shindig.

Also, I think that games based on some insanely abstract idea like 'sadness' or 'existence' would be neat.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:02 PM   #3
Rixx

Since there will most likely be more entires, more prizes might be a good idea this time around - maybe some prizes besides just cash that would aid in future game development, if such a thing were possible?

And more thematic/gameplay guidelines would be neat, to prevent people from interpreting the theme very loosely for an idea they already had (I got that vibe from Chaos Wave and Go Beryllium) and encourage some more original thinking.

It's a somewhat whimsical sci-fi type roleplay board. I made it. It's fun.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:35 PM   #4
Poisonedv
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixx View Post
Since there will most likely be more entires, more prizes might be a good idea this time around - maybe some prizes besides just cash that would aid in future game development, if such a thing were possible?
ace idea. if you can hook up a game development tools publisher or something as a sponser- i dont know, yoyogames, thegamecreators, whatever, you could save money on prizes

Old 08-31-2008, 04:32 PM   #5
Dan
Smug Bison

Agreed - that is an excellent idea. I wonder if Garage Games would be willing to part with a few Torque licenses...?

Old 08-31-2008, 04:59 PM   #6
Kintak
Magical Musical Maggot

Suggesting theme: Movement
So many games are stationary and unmoving. You see a level and the grass doesn't sway and the enemies practically slide along the ground to attack you. The player moves, but the game only responds. Without the player's touch, the world does not change at all, whether inside or outside his or her perspective.
The universe around us is constantly moving, and games are artistic, creative, and most importantly fun interpretations of that universe, but many times the movement is lackluster or dead.

Last edited by Kintak; 08-31-2008 at 08:34 PM.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:10 AM   #7
The flying banana
The man in the rain

Location: Almost certainly a long way away from wherever you are.

As much as I love the idea of movement as a theme, I can't help but feel it's another one that's too easy to creatively misinterpret.

My idea is equally easy to mess around with, but I'd like to see what people would come up with if the theme were: language
There are a lot of games where sound affects the landscape now (Well okay, a few.) but I don't think I've seen one where the words you use shape the place. Let's hope someone could come up with something a little more imaginitive than spells.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:11 AM   #8
Poisonedv
Banned

Well, I played a game where you made car sounds into a microphone and it changed your direction and stuff depending on the pitch

Old 09-01-2008, 11:12 AM   #9
Kintak
Magical Musical Maggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The flying banana View Post
As much as I love the idea of movement as a theme, I can't help but feel it's another one that's too easy to creatively misinterpret.

My idea is equally easy to mess around with, but I'd like to see what people would come up with if the theme were: language
There are a lot of games where sound affects the landscape now (Well okay, a few.) but I don't think I've seen one where the words you use shape the place. Let's hope someone could come up with something a little more imaginitive than spells.
Well I did suggest the theme of movement with the intention of it being interpreted in multiple ways. That is how I saw the color theme.
I do like the idea of language as a theme though.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:31 AM   #10
Dan
Smug Bison

Keep in mind that we don't necessarily have to have a single-word theme - in truth, I'd rather we didn't. I'm inclined towards having a list of criteria instead (a la dogma), partly because it'd be harder to fudge, and partly because I just think it's an interesting way to do it.