Go Back   The Eegra Forums > Eegra > The Shindigs

Notices

Old 08-06-2008, 10:49 PM   #1
Muz
Deleted

Default What I thought about the Shindig Games

I did vote for my own game in the poll without playing the rest of the games, because that's what everyone does, right? Little did I know that it would be quite true. It's not that the other entries were good, but I ended up liking playing Chaos Wave the most in the long run. I dunno, maybe it's because it's my baby

Color-Full was surprisingly good, despite being so simple. It's a good, solid game, with a lot of fun in it. The only problem is it doesn't seem to have that much content. It's just well.. what it is.

Space Safari I liked. It's just bloody fun, hanging around things and shooting the little guys. I like how after going all the way to the bottom, you end up at the top.. it saves a lot of navigation problems in games of that type, so I could just run in any direction I like and find something to shoot. It would be a great game with just a little more fine-tuning. I think I just ended up getting tired around the middle of the game and tried to see if I could die.

Tinte was.. OK. Definitely the nicest looking of the bunch. It's not a bad game in itself, it just feels pretty.. average. It's an average platformer, not by freeware standards, but by commercial standards (which I guess counts as a compliment in itself). In fact, it feels a LOT like that Michael Jackson game where you collect kids, kick shiny things at enemies, then go back to one point after collecting enough kids. Tinte felt a bit like a mod of that game, with a color theme instead of a Michael Jackson theme. I think it had a bit more potential if only there was a bit more fine-tuning. Like when spraying colors, maybe some of it would stick to the enemies or instead of the enemies dying, they could become cute, colorful bunnies or something. Maybe after winning a level, the color would return to the whole level, and you could just explore around a little. Aside from that, it's a good game, but nothing too special.

Paint the World was also good. I particularly liked how the paint covered things and added another feature to the game. The only problem with it was that well.. it didn't have any real bonus, unlike most shmups where you could buy weapons, kill big bosses, etc. It was good fun, but in comparing it to the other shmup, it doesn't really deserved to be crowned the winner.

Colourwise was good, but disappointing. It looks great, has great potential.. but it just didn't.. merge. The levels all seem to be separate things, created by separate people. You could create a random level picker and it would the same. There's no real feel of progression. The game doesn't feel like it has anything to do with the story. Unfortunately, I ended up feeling that some levels were just so boring I wanted to get through it as fast as possible to see the next, or to see the next part of the story. The final little bit I didn't like was how everything suddenly seemed to fall into place. Being an engineer, I like calculating things, expecting that this color will become that color after a certain color combo. But some levels, especially the maze-like ones, are a lot easier to play if I just bump my box into into random colors instead of thinking of how they might end up. In other words, it's a puzzle game with button mashing . I think it would've been a lot better had the different levels and aspects of the story merged a little better with each other.

Colourbind doesn't work on my computer for some reason, which pissed me off a little with Windows because I was looking forward to it

SS:SBtWtG,AJaR:SH... well, I just suck at this game. I couldn't even get past the first level. Apparently, most other people think it's good, but I'm just not good enough to see why, lol. Maybe I'll give it another spin on the weekend.

Go Beryllium was a great game, but since I suck as shmups, I just can't get past the first level, even on easy. I get a strange form of geek pleasure at how the helium and hydrogen atoms are about the right size and even more fun at blasting them to bits and collecting the thingies. It just runs so well, it's fun, and evilly addictive. Overall, it's a great game, which I believe, doesn't deserve first place because it doesn't really adhere to the theme, but it's simply the only one that's qualified for the position.

Overall, I think all the games, except for Go Beryllium would've been a lot better, given an extra month or two. Most of them have a nice, solid core, they just lacked the fine tuning that would've made them games that people would play over and over again.

Old 10-04-2008, 01:19 PM   #2
Aahmyface2
World-renowned B-boy

Send a message via MSN to Aahmyface2

Thankyou.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Hur Hur, a cat!

Old 10-05-2008, 03:04 AM   #3
Farvana