Woo! 6 31.58%
Yippee! 4 21.05%
fuk u 4 21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2008, 10:02 AM   #11
Kaatridge
Badonkadonk

Send a message via MSN to Kaatridge Send a message via Skype™ to Kaatridge

Hey, at least you entered the actual thing.

I'm pretty sure 'early entry' came last.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:36 AM   #12
Malwyn
Gay Cowboy

Aww. Many congrats to the winners, but I've yet to play any of them since the downloads appear to be down.

On Tinte, I made all the enemies horribly difficult because it was just easier to code that way, and I thought it might make up for my unimaginative level design. I probably could have made it more obvious that it's winnably easier to just avoid them if at all possible, but there you are. I had a few Knytt-esque comments all through the development and actively tried to get away from that and back to the "hooray for childhood" homage to my favourite platformers as a halfling, but uh, whatever. I actually made something. This competition gave me the motivation to sit down and concentrate on something for three months, which I've only done once before. (on an artwork, no less. In a competition I didn't win either. :P)

Thank you, eegra folk. I'm actually making stuff now, which is just insane.

I'm now working on this (which isn't flow, srsly, totally not the same thing), and laying out plans for a remake of Gay Cowboy, a day-of-zeux game I made a year ago about gay cowboy's adventure to stop zombie mecha hitler from kicking down a building.

Edit: http://malwyn.belsambar.net/TSRC.zip for terrible source code and level editor. I do know how to use pointers and neato-abstract-data-types, but chose not to for uh, design reasons. >.>

Last edited by Malwyn; 07-30-2008 at 10:39 AM.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:17 AM   #13
Saq
Luigi ftw

Send a message via MSN to Saq

Hi, congratulation's to all of the winners of the shindig! I think if i have to pick a favourite from what i've played so far (that being Spectrum Spelunker, and Go Beryllium, i will definatly play all of them though) they're both fantastic games, but platformers are just naturally one of my favourite genre's to play. Everything about Spectrum Spelunker is nice and simple to get used to, but easy enough to pick up and play again at any time of the day, which i think i like the most about it!

Oh, and if i get time to do so later, i'll try and get your games up on my website (which is in my sig if your curious) for just that little bit extra recognition.

Feel free to visit my first ever gaming website: http://freewaregames.co.nr/
Last played: Something exciting

Old 07-30-2008, 11:23 AM   #14
monoRAIL

Well that really was a surprise! Congratulations to Francesco, Finn and Tim and well done everyone else who finished their games. Writing feedback for all the entries was a great idea, thanks Dan and Patrick - I think that sort of attention will encourage everyone and will bring even more entries to the next Shindig.

Garage Games have recently announced Torque for iPhone, so I think I will spend my prize money on converting Go Beryllium to run on the iPhone. Look out for it on the Apps store!

Malwyn - plasm looks fun, great to see the contest inspired you to develop more games!

Last edited by monoRAIL; 07-30-2008 at 11:27 AM.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:53 AM   #15
Reasonableman
Verily.

Everyone who made a game is really, really kickass. And I mean that, from the top of lung. Seriously.

Also, I think Space Safari could evolve into Eegra's signature game, with a bit more polish. I love the mid-nineties sound quality, and the intro is fantastic. More critiques to come.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:03 PM   #16
Crimson K.

Gotta give my thanks to the Eegra people as well. You guys got me to finish another game! Makes me wanna go and make a sequel.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:21 PM   #17
Dinaroozie

I voted for 'Woo!'. Big congrats to Conor and... Tim? Rixxendrak? Let's just say Rixx. And also a high five to Francesco, because as only he and I truly understand, third place will always be the raddest place. Seriously though I will offer my more heartfelt congrats to all when I get home and can actually play the games.

I feel the need to comment on one thing from my review:

Quote:
Each level is designed with meticulous precision and economy, such that there isnít a single extraneous element in the entire game. If something is there, it is there for a purpose, like a cog in clockwork.
You know why that is? Because I was too time-cheap to make a level editor, so all the levels are hardcoded. For serious - there's a big-arse file called LevelManager.cpp with functions such as LoadLevel03(), containing huge amounts of WorldOutline->AddPoint (Vector2D (3.5, 4.5)). I swear to god, not one of my finest engineering feats - I'm glad the minimalistic results were enjoyed, though.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:41 PM   #18
Muz
Deleted

Honestly, I didn't expect Go Beryllium to win. IMHO, I found it a bit too tough and not fitting the requirements, but maybe the judges like that sort of thing. Haha, at least I got my predictions right on the 2nd and 3rd place winners.

It seems just a bit unfair that all the games with an early start won something. But hey, at least they were honest about it. I thought up the idea for the color arrangements for my game about 4 years ago, but only made it into a 'real' game when I heard about the Shindig. If only I played Knytt Stories (and borrowed the concept) before deciding to make the game, instead of playing platformers, roguelikes, and Somiumstrike and mixing them into one confusing jumble.

To ruin the happy occasion with a sappy speech, I just want to say that I think the best reward I got here was not monetary, but in experience. I've learned tons of things I never knew about learning stuff, game design, and inspiration. I've felt what it was like to work creatively for 18 hours a day (and why nobody does that in the professional world - it burns you out). And heck, after 1.5 months of grueling game design and 1.5 of coding and creating a learning AI in a week, I'm pretty much ready to do anything now.

Hmm... is it fine to release the game's source code? Oh, and I better PM one of you guys with my new address in case there's a t-shirt or anything on the way.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:58 PM   #19
Gina
Smarty-pants

Send a message via MSN to Gina

I liked Spectrum Spelunker because that little thingermajigger is very very cute.

I am a massive girl.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:15 PM   #20
Poisonedv
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
I liked Spectrum Spelunker because that little thingermajigger is very very cute.

I am a massive girl.
I guess that makes me a massive girl, too. Or just, uh, massive.