Go Back   The Eegra Forums > Eegra > The Shindigs

Notices

Old 06-19-2008, 02:20 PM   #31
monoRAIL

Entry submitted!!!

Thanks to the folks at Eegra for organizing the contest and best of luck to all the other entrants - I'm looking forward to playing everyone's games.

I'm submitting my game early because I started on it a few weeks before the contest was announced and redesigned it to fit the contest theme, so I thought it would only be fair if I limited myself to the same timeframe that the other contestants have.

Many people helped me with this game, with technical help, balance suggestions and general bug hunting, so I'd like to thank them here...

Thanks to SHMUP-DEV, Poppenkast, Eegra and everyone on the Garage Games forums and IRC channel.

Playtesters: im9today, Kairos, JW, Cow, Deadheat, Juju, Edge, serprex, berilium, crunchysaviour, Sar, Avist Torch, blankthemuffin, Muz, Farvana, NUD25, Fluffy Duck, Jackablade, Shinji16.

Special thanks to Linley, 9_6, Sar, Sir H. Appleby, the2bears and May O’Kane for testing and suggestions.

The audio aspect of this game was inspired by Cactus' game Minubeat, and Linley's game Garden of Coloured Lights.

Last edited by monoRAIL; 06-19-2008 at 02:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 06-19-2008, 02:27 PM   #32
Dan
Smug Bison

Entry received!!!

Downloaded and installed - no problems at all. Thanks, mono!

Old 06-19-2008, 06:37 PM   #33
bicilotti

Quote:
Originally Posted by monoRAIL View Post
Entry submitted!!!
I'm submitting my game early because I started on it a few weeks before the contest was announced and redesigned it to fit the contest theme, so I thought it would only be fair if I limited myself to the same timeframe that the other contestants have.
Simpleton me, I thought you were submitting your game two weeks earlier because... you did finish it two weeks earlier.

Congrats on finishing and on the game itself. Win the best!

Old 06-20-2008, 10:27 AM   #34
monoRAIL

Bicilotti - very astute observation ;-)

Actually I finished the game about 2 weeks ago, but I've had friends playtesting it since then to iron out all the bugs and balance issues. You can never test a game enough, and even if you think it's done, someone else who's playing it for the first time will come up with obvious flaws that you, as the designer, will overlook.

I could easily spend another few weeks on balancing and refining - but at some point you just have to say that's enough, and move on to something else or you'd never get anything finished!

I'm looking forward to seeing how Colourwise turns out, was your beta testing productive?

Old 06-20-2008, 07:10 PM   #35
bicilotti

Quote:
Originally Posted by monoRAIL View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing how Colourwise turns out, was your beta testing productive?
Thanks! Beta underlined several bugs (due to sloppy coding ) and it has made me very suspicious when checking my mail, but at least it was damn useful See you on the 8th of July

Old 03-25-2009, 04:00 AM   #36
tyroney
general purpose

I totally missed the shindig, but I got my hands on go beryllium, and had a good time. For me, this game is all about getting the neutrino stream right when the boss beats kick in, and then rocking out while dodging madly and freaking out due to the awesomeness and danger.

Freakin black hole! "Avoid the hawking radiation" my....

I have to whine about one thing: could you make a remastered version where the music and shot sounds are rhythmically coordinated? It drives me nuts, and makes it hard to instinctually time shield bursts without pausing for a measure+ to watch the visual pulse.

edit: maybe I'm crazy. I swear something sounds/feels off. I'm still not sure what it is.

Last edited by tyroney; 03-25-2009 at 08:34 AM.