Go Back   The Eegra Forums > Discussion > Peach's Panties

Notices

Old 06-18-2010, 03:55 AM   #1
Demaar
Stop tickling my fancy.

Default So how about that E3?

I'd definitely consider myself a lapsed gamer (um... again), and I really wasn't paying that much attention to E3 at all. But I decided to check out the conference highlights and yeah, I was pleasantly surprised in some cases.

Portal 2 looks very nice, the 3DS actually kind of excites me (though mostly because it can take 3D photos) and a new Kirby is always fun. I actually dusted off my Wii and started playing games I've left unplayed for months now.

Is it weird that exciting new things make me appreciate the old things I already have?

Old 06-18-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
CPFace

I'm probably the only person in the world who's disappointed that they didn't show anything to do with the Vitality Sensor this year. I love weird peripherals, and I'm honestly curious what kind of application they're cooking up that necessitates incorporating the user's pulse, especially because it doesn't sound like it'll be a traditional game.

I'm also excited about the promise of 3D photography, but it won't be perfect until there's some means of sharing photos outside of the device itself.

I like the idea of handheld 3D movies -- actually, I like the idea of handheld movies period. I'm just worried about the selection. The Game Boy Advance video was an idea with potential, but it seemed like the only feature-length stuff was shitty Dreamworks cartoons. Add in the fact that a lot of the recent 3D movies are shit, and it becomes a pretty uncertain proposition. Disney's in on it this time around at least, and I know a 3D version of Toy Story 2 already exists. I can hope.

Still, I can't help thinking that I should wait for the smaller/brighter/bigger version that'll come out the year after.

I liked Scribblenauts, but I acknowledge its faults. I'm kind of on the fence about Super Scribblenauts. Focussing on puzzles seems to be a step in the right direction, but I have a suspicion that it'll have the same problem as the first, where you find a great object for a particular job and that becomes your crutch throughout the game.

I've heard some good impressions of Epic Mickey, but that could still go either way.

Nothing really floored me, I guess. There's some cool stuff coming, sure, but it's mostly what you'd expect.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:23 AM   #3
Demaar
Stop tickling my fancy.

Yeah, I agree that's the biggest flaw with the 3D photos. But still, the fact that they can be taken is amazing and I love it. Hopefully they'll be exportable for use on future stereoscopic devices (or however it is the 3DS does its magic).

You're actually making me consider waiting on a revision too. I have plenty of old stuff that'll tide me over for the time being

Old 06-24-2010, 08:24 PM   #4
CPFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demaar View Post
You're actually making me consider waiting on a revision too. I have plenty of old stuff that'll tide me over for the time being
There's really nothing to lose by waiting. Launch titles always suck, the hardware only becomes less expensive, and you don't feel like quite as much of a sucker when the upgrades come out. When the 3DS was leaked one week before the DSi XL came out in North America, it really gave me pause for thought. I remember when it took Nintendo years and years to get to the color Game Boy; now it seems like they're revising their portable annually. What's the point of trying to keep up with it?

I've been digging into my old stuff lately too. I'm getting back into Animal Crossing on the DS, and I've even found my Game Boy Color and played through Donkey Kong '94. I forgot how much I loved that game. It has such a Braid-like vibe to it that I found myself reaching for a rewind button a couple times.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:50 PM   #5
Soyvoyage
Chair Doctor

Send a message via Skype™ to Soyvoyage

I actually got up at 2 a.m to watch the Nintendo press conference. I'm not sure if it was entirely worth it, but it was a fun thing to do. The thing that excited me the most was the 3DS, all the games from different franchises being made for it. I certainly enjoy some Kingdom Hearts, but it will be years before that is released. Kid Icarus looks good too, with the 3DS graphics.

I'm wondering though, could it be more powerful if it wasn't displaying in 3d? Wouldn't it have to render things twice to achieve that effect? I would like to see one it in person to see how the 3d really looks.

Non Nintendo things didn't really pique my interest, except for Xcom. I don't know anything about the previous games, but the trailer for this new one makes for some interesting aliens.