Go Back   The Eegra Forums > Discussion > The Ivory Tower

Notices

Old 04-24-2009, 03:35 AM   #21
shMerker
Fountain of lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awful View Post
I know securom has completely destroyed the second-hand software market, but that's been going downhill for awhile now.
That's the trick isn't it? The secondhand market is where a lot of software finds its value. I know when there was a GameCrazy just up from the street from me I was emboldened to buy new games because I knew it wasn't a total loss if it turned out to be complete trash. I'll probably do another round of trade-ins in the next couple of months because I have a lot of games that I don't really expect to play again.

Secondhand game sales created multiple pricing levels that allowed more people to get into gaming. Just cutting that off without also slashing prices or introducing some other new value in exchange is flipping the bird at your customers. And yes, purchasers of used games are also your customers because they are increasing the value of the remaining retail copies and if they like it it's quite possible they will buy the sequel new rather than wait around to find a used copy.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:49 AM   #22
Captain Awful
Blastoise

Send a message via MSN to Captain Awful

Quote:
Originally Posted by shMerker View Post
That's the trick isn't it? The secondhand market is where a lot of software finds its value. I know when there was a GameCrazy just up from the street from me I was emboldened to buy new games because I knew it wasn't a total loss if it turned out to be complete trash. I'll probably do another round of trade-ins in the next couple of months because I have a lot of games that I don't really expect to play again.

Secondhand game sales created multiple pricing levels that allowed more people to get into gaming. Just cutting that off without also slashing prices or introducing some other new value in exchange is flipping the bird at your customers. And yes, purchasers of used games are also your customers because they are increasing the value of the remaining retail copies and if they like it it's quite possible they will buy the sequel new rather than wait around to find a used copy.
I hadn't even taken that into consideration. I've definitely bought games I wouldn't otherwise intending to sell them if I didn't like them. Poor PC games looking to make millions.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:43 PM   #23
Muz
Deleted

Secondhand software is as bad as piracy. At least for the people selling them. If they can't stop pirates, at least they make sure each of you buys a fresh copy

Old 04-25-2009, 02:08 AM   #24
shMerker
Fountain of lies

Yeah, and they're making a huge mistake. Imagine if auto-makers made it so that you couldn't resell a car. A lot more people would simply go without because buying new would be too expensive. Meanwhile those who already owned a car wouldn't want to buy a different one even if their needs from a vehicle changed because they wouldn't be able to subsidize with a trade-in. It would be a big fat money sink and everyone would lose.

Oh wait, smiley. You agree with me.

There are ways for publishers to get into the market space that secondary markets created. One is to make their back-catalogs available online, where convenience will drive people away from retail chains. They could also stop making annual sequels to franchises, which encourage trading up to the newest version and contributing to the used market instead of valuing games individually.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:15 AM   #25
aubergine
Justice For All

The hilarious update to this story is that the judge turned out to be on the Swedish copyright association board or something, which comes across as a slight conflict of interest which should have reasonably been declared. It may lead to a retrial.
Johnny Depp's Next Movie
Passion for Plantlife

Old 05-06-2009, 06:57 AM   #26
T Strife
isn't in the Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubergine View Post
The hilarious update to this story is that the judge turned out to be on the Swedish copyright association board or something, which comes across as a slight conflict of interest which should have reasonably been declared.
That would be unbelievably awesome in a Phoenix Wright game. He'd probably turn a piece of evidence over with his stylus, find a new angle that changes the scope of the entire trial, and pin it on the Judge then and there!

Old 05-06-2009, 11:12 AM   #27
antikhaoz
GAGAAGAGAAGAGAAGAGAAGAGAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubergine View Post
The hilarious update to this story is that the judge turned out to be on the Swedish copyright association board or something, which comes across as a slight conflict of interest which should have reasonably been declared. It may lead to a retrial.
That's just hilarious. Link ?

And for the record, people is allowed to share their files trough the internet and if anyone is guilty It's the person who ripped and uploaded copyrighted software in the first place, or the person who leaked the movie, internet users will find that content for free and they will download it, as simple as that. Dear companies, wanna stop piracy ?, prevent the leaks of your movies and improve the security of your software, and most important, lower your prices. People will be more than happy to buy a music album if they feel the price is reasonable.

Meanwhile, "secret" trackers like blackcats continue and will continue forever to provide software to pirates.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:26 PM   #28
punkgorilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikhaoz View Post
That's just hilarious. Link ?
Here and here.